Skip to main content

What is Reflexology

Reflexology


A Image of the reflexes on the foot that represent organs/areas in the body.

'Reflexology is a gentle and non-invasive therapy that encourages the body to balance and heal itself. ' ( Hull,2017) In this treatment the therapist uses her hands to apply pressure to specific areas on the hands or feet - reflexes - which reflect organs and areas inside the body to relieve pain or congestion in the area.

It is such a relaxing treatment and is so different from the others. This gives your body the opportunity to do what it does best and that is to heal itself. Oh, how beautiful our bodies are made and how exciting it is to learn about it.

Reflexology aims to bring balance to the body which allows the body to heal. This balance is called homeostasis and when the body is out of balance, disease happens.

Is it painful?

Reflexology is not painful, however when pressure is applied to a specific area that has problems it can be sensitive or uncomfortable. 

Is this bad? 

No, this is not bad. This is your body showing that it has enough strength to overcome the trauma and its kind of like a detox. Your body is starting to heal itself and you may experience headaches, fatigue and nausea afterwards or you may feel the complete opposite - revitalized and ready to go.
However, I encourage you to drink a lot of water post-treatment, get a lot of rest and not to do any heavy or strenuous workouts. Listening to your body and helping it along will help the process.

Why?

Reflexology treatments make one feel very relaxed and the body begins to heal itself in a relaxed state. Thus, when one rests and gets sleep healing can take place.

 Contraindications to a reflexology treatment

  • Undiagnosed pain
  • Gangrene 
  • Drugs and Alcohol use 
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis 
  • Any Contagious Diseases 
  • Fever 
  • Heart Conditions
  • Any one undergoing a organ transplant 

Reflexology is an art due owning to their not being any scientific proof of the treatment, however effects are very visible. It is a very good treatment for a highly stressed client as stress seems to be the number one motivating factor to disease.

I would highly recommend a treatment. This way you can come to your own conclusion on the therapy and if it works for you. Make sure you have a trustworthy therapist and someone you enjoy as he/ she contributes highly to the success of your treatment. 

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you have ever been for a reflexology treatment and let me know about your experience. :)

Kea



References 

Hull R. (2017) The Complete Guide To Reflexology. pg 7. Replika Press: India.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advice!!

So.. I am thinking of selling my Matric dance dress but I am stuck on making a final decision! I have weighed out the "Why's" and "Why NOT'S" down below. This is why I want to sell it : #1 I don't think I am ever going to wear it again #2 I can make some money from it #3 It is just chilling in my room. Okay, now this is why I do not want to sell it : #1 It is SO damn pretty! #2 Matric Dance is kind of a huge deal and the biggest night of your high school life and it is a reminder of that one special night. Any advice? HELP MEEE Oh, PS: here is a picture of it down below!  And its open like this at the back!

My first blog post!

Hiii I'm Kea. I am 18 years young and finished with school last year (2017). I am taking a gap year and decided to start my blog because I have a passion for writing and would like to share it. I will be writing about many different topics I enjoy which include food, health,fitness, adventure,positivity and life. This is my very first blog post and I will be posting every single day from today. So.. I hope you enjoy and I'll see you soon! Byee x

Enzymatic vs. Granular Exfoliation

What is the difference? Don't they both do the same job? Is Enzymatic even effective?  Enzymatic exfoliators and Granular exfoliators are both know for the same job: to get rid of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin. But, what is the difference and which one is most suitable for my skin? Enzymatic exfoliators are exfoliators without the abrasive kernels in it that brush down on the dead cells on your skin. Except these exfoliators contain enzymes which break down bonds between the dead cells on the surface of the skin which removes dead skins cells faster. Enzymes include bromelain from the pineapple and papain from a papaya. You can use this exfoliator if your skin is more sensitive and you want something less harsh compared to a peel or even a granular exfoliator. One can also use this exfoliator if you experience breakout which is perfect and won't aggravate the skin. Now what is a granular exfoliator? Granular exfoliators are mechanical exfoliators that buff the skin